[squeakland] Etoys Video's for Khan Academy

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 14:47:13 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 12:37 AM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 16:04, karl ramberg <karlramberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The feeling of achievement is important and will help motivate students.
> > In Etoys you have the full environment available at all time.
> > It has a steep learning curve and quite error pron.
>
> I have a page at Sugar Labs called The Undiscoverable, which mentions
> Etoys but does not give many details. I would like help filling it in.
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/The_Undiscoverable
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/The_Undiscoverable/Etoys

A couple

Holders act as collections
Variable types

> > To not pace out the way to use the system can demotivate and give
> students a
> > hard time.
> > It's a big project to make it seem like a game to unlock the secrets
> > without crippling the system at the same time.
>
> But totally worth the effort.
>
> > Also to measure or give a
> > test automatically of how much a student know or can solve problems is
> hard
> > when the possible ways to solve problems are almost infinite. One goal of
> > the system is to make it possible for students to be creative and find
> their
> > own ways to solve problems.
>
> You are asking for the solution to an undecidable problem.
> Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations is devoted entirely to the
> question, "How can we tell whether another person understands us?"
> (Short answer: You can't, except to a very limited degree in very
> limited  areas, and you have to make do with that. Longer answer, even
> though in fewer words: We will be able to do this to a fair degree
> when we solve Strong AI.)
>
> Within the limits of what we can verify, we can do a much better job
> than is conventionally attempted, but it will be quite difficult to
> convince the political authorities and much of the populace of that
> fact. Sometimes the problem is not with evidence, as in the case of
> tests for creativity and for racism, which are well-established, but
> not acceptable to the Religious Right, among others.
>
> > Video lectures can be a nice way to introduce both easy parts and
> > hard-to-discover parts of Etoys
>
> +1

I looked at http://projecteuler.net/ and thought it is a step in the right
direction,
One can use Etoys to achieve solve these problem,
Without a goal it's easy to loose focus and see tutorials as they come
without context.
With a goal in mind a tutorial can help you achieve that  goal

Karll