[squeakland] Etoys on an interactive whiteboard?

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Wed Mar 2 15:52:49 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, I wrote:

> In a few days time, I hope to get an hour in an empty classroom with
> one of these boards.
> I will take Etoys to Go 4.1.1,
> My time is limited, so my tests will be brief, not thorough, and will
> omit many of the things I want to try.

I had the use of a single touch SMART brand board. The evaluation went
surprisingly well. Etoys was very responsive, and was mostly easy to
control. For me and the other testers, a board makes a nice drawing
surface that mostly allows finer control than a mouse. An acquaintance
observing said we should all have one at home!

My first serious concern is the green heading vector of a morph. It is
impossible to shift-click to drag it as far as I can tell. It would be
nice to propose an alternative control or gesture (as otherwise, the
user will probably walk over to the PC and use the mouse/keyboard -
they might as well have a regular projector.)

My second concern is balloon help, which I mentioned already.

I will post more detailed comments on the wiki eventually.

Best, David