[squeakland] File error on open and sound reverb problem again

Mike Lee curiouslee at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 13:02:14 EST 2011

I stepped through again following your steps exactly. Pressing cmd-s
on my Macbook Pro running 10.6.7 and Etoys 4.1.1. inexplicably caused
the quoted string to disappear. I went ahead and saved the Etoys
project file, see screenshots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/6337954306/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Upon returning to the SoundPlayer class in the code browser, the
original code is gone and replaced with different text.

The reverb persists.

To recap, others are telling me there may be a fix in 4.1.2 or 4.2,
but for now it seems like I need to find a resolution to the reverb
manually as I will be distributing 4.1.1 and 700 project files to 20
volunteers next Sunday.

This sound reverb issue is undoubtedly some legacy decision that now
must be persisted as a default because so many files expect the effect
to be present. But, like so many aspects of the grandfather clock that
Etoys is, it makes no sense. Imagine if a photo editing program tinted
your images pink by default because some developer years ago thought
that was cool. No other piece of authoring software I've encountered
since I started using graphical computers in 1985 puts a filter effect
on a media asset by default.

Mike