[squeakland] About Skeleton

Ricardo Moran richi.moran at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 12:41:32 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> On 11.10.2011, at 14:34, Ricardo Moran wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > The squeak list is currently discussing about a spreadsheet morph, and
> that just reminded me about how cool is Skeleton actually. So I'm wondering
> why it is not in Etoys? I found an old discussion stating that it could be a
> nice extension to Etoys but the biggest issue being the slow loading of
> external code. I have to agree with that being a problem but I think we
> might reconsider just include it in the image as with Dr Geo.
> >
> > I know we already have a bloated image full of half finished projects but
> from what I briefly tested Skeleton seems to work out of the box. And it
> doesn't add a *huge* amount of new code. See this simple comparison with
> DrGeo:
> >
> > (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') systemCategories size. 2
> > (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') classes size. 38
> > (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') methods size. 654
> > (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') linesOfCode. 4765
> >
> > (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') systemCategories size. 10
> > (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') classes size. 214
> > (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') methods size.  1863
> > (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') linesOfCode.  17154
> >
> > Another issue, I guess, is that if Skeleton gets included someone will
> have to maintain it, but from what I've seen the latest version dates from
> 2006 and it still works today. So maybe it won't be that big of an issue.
> >
> > Anyway, if you want to test it:
> http://www.languagegame.org:8080/ggame/11.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Richo
>
> How does it compare to the data table thing you did in your GSoC project?

My data table serves the only purpose of importing/exporting CSV files, but
not much else, whereas Skeleton is a proper spreadsheet, it supports
functions, and is well integrated with etoys via drag and drop of tiles.

> Would be nice to have only one, not two table-like objects.

I agree, but since my table is not integrated anyway, I vote for integrating
Skeleton which is much better than what I did. And if we want the I/O of csv
files, I could find the way of adapting Skeleton. It shouldn't be that
difficult, I suppose.

Cheers,
Richo