[squeakland] Kids using images and scripting

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 14:18:15 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Kim Rose <kim.rose at vpri.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A quick bit of history and a reminder:
>
> Etoys was developed with the idea that the children would create *their own*
> art -- to encourage drawing and not just cut/pasting other people's
> clip-art.  We'd love to see that encouraged  although we realize there are
> "powerful forces" working against us.  Children have little self-esteem
> regarding their drawing skills; they need encouragement, praise and
> practice.
>
> Additionally, the original intent of Etoys was not to enable/encourage all
> kids to be "programmers" but to get children to think more scientifically,
> and less superstitiously, and in a more thoughtful manner all together when
> thinking about the world we inhabit and how it works.
>
> Kim Rose

I agree with much of this.
But we must help the kids by showing them a way.
Many kids will just give up as it's too much to discover and its to
hard to do by them self.
What I think is way forward is to help kids make the stuff they want.
Tutorials and specially youtube clips showing how to make the kind of
images they like will encourage them to make it them self.

Art is hard and it's not obvious how to make it. Lot's of tricks and tools
are used and it take some dedication.

Etoys paint tools are good for most cases but can be a little crude and
unforgiving.

Crude by having only round and big brushes. And the very hard
pixelated edges makes detail work hard.
Non obvious color palette memory. There is no zoom to do details.

Unforgiving in the sense that editing instances take time getting used
to. You edit the original! You must remember to keep a copy or you
lose your work !

Karl