[squeakland] [IAEP] Why is Scratch more popular than Etoys?

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 17:36:34 EDT 2011

I looked at this TED presentation today:
http://www.ted.com/talks/clay_shirky_how_cognitive_surplus_will_change_the_world.html

He say there are a trillion hours of participatory value up for grabs.

We could do with some more people working on Etoys :-)

I also looked at these two web forum pages discussing programming for
kids pages today but not much love for Etoys:

http://pozorvlak.livejournal.com/169225.html
http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/kgbzq/why_we_should_teach_our_kids_to_code/

There seems to be a mismatch from we perceive as values and strong
features of Etoys and what other people see.  Why do we not get the
ideas out? What makes is so hard ? Do people test Etoys and drop it ?

Karl