[squeakland] Programming or computer science for kids

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 16:52:48 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 1:32 AM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr.
<jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:
> Karl,
>
>> New book for kids, Lauren Ipsum, under development here
>>
>> http://carlos.bueno.org/
>>
>> Seems interesting and I quite enjoyed reading the sample chapter.
>
> There is another sample at
>
> http://carlos.bueno.org/2011/01/tortoise.html
>
> The Tortoise would only be right if you could have a string with half an
> atom, which isn't the case :-)
>
> I wonder about all the background information woven into a story that is
> meant to be a first introduction to the subject. The best children's
> stories have stuff that the adults can appreciate but the intended
> audience doesn't get, but this is on a completely different scale. Take
> a look at a similar (very short) story I wrote for a very specific
> audience and how much it ruined when you need the explanations at the
> end (not part of the original):
>
> http://www.merlintec.com/lsi/stories/deadlocks.html
>
> -- Jecel

It seems he got full founding for this project at
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/512752850/lauren-ipsum-computer-science-for-kids

I look forward reading the whole book.

I liked yours too Jecel. Much the same imagery. I think this kind of
thinking kan give solutions to many problems faced in programming.
Sometimes seeing thems as actors can make the solution to the problem
seem obvious. Setting up and translating that issue in a computer is a
struggle. All sorts of digressions later you can focus on the problem
again, if you are lucky.

Karl