[squeakland] What makes examples good for novices? and How do we tell if an example is good for novices?

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Fri Feb 3 01:18:47 EST 2012

Lawson,

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Lawson English <lenglish5 at cox.net> wrote:

>  I can't give you any stats other than positive feedback I have gotten,
> but the Salman Khan style of video teaching seems to work well for
> programming as well as for math.

I generally like the Salman Khan video's and think they have their place
(flame away folks :).  The ability to watch at my your pace and on your own
time is a big plus and my kids use them sometimes when they are struggling
with a concept.  While it is preferable to struggle with the concepts
ourselves, who has the time (or the ability) to re-construct all that
knowledge. So, I think there is a role for a "good explanation."  Of
course, it would be nice if he had more "Sugar" like artifacts to play and
learn with.

That said I really didn't like his Programming videos.  Programming, I
believe, is much better if taught with lots of hands on opportunities and
problems.  Videos could be used after the learner has a chance to work on a
problem. Perhaps to show different ways to solve a problem and/or Providing
a Guided Tour through "good literature" (well written code) and perhaps bad
as well or something like Java Puzzlers, to let kids learn where the
pitfalls are and get a better understanding of how things work.

> My video series, Squeak from the very start, is a very conscious effort to
> duplicate his style:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6601A198DF14788D&feature=view_all
>
> Friends characterize my video style as being like a mentor in a
> pair-programming session.

I like the idea of kids pair-programming although I would think you would
need to set some ground rules like (the "advanced" kid can't touch the
keyboard).

FYI, I like your videos and have used them for myself.

Thanks,
Stephen