[squeakland] What do I want kids to learn (and how do I know if they did?)

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Fri Jun 1 02:39:27 EDT 2012

What do I want kids to learn?
Great, talk on Assessing Computational
Thinking<http://scratched.media.mit.edu/resources/assessing-computational-thinking-may-2012-scratched-webinar>
by
the Scratch Ed team.
I was sorry I missed the live version, but Memorex is just as good
(okay I'm dating myself, see video below if you don't get the reference)

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZyFcJcZiaU&feature=em-share_video_user>
Memorex VHS Tapes Ad from 1982 - Is It Live Or Is It
Memorex?<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZyFcJcZiaU&feature=em-share_video_user>
An old commercial for Memorex VHS cassette tapes.

Here are some of my initial notes and thoughts:

How do you Assess?
Damn good question and I LOVED Karen's line:

"Some of the things that are easiest to evaluate are not the things we care
about."

The problem is that the things that are easy (ie: quick and inexpensive)
and "fair" (standarizable across a wide population) to assess are not what
I care about.

What do I hope kids learning:

   - Certain Habits of Mind that will serve them well in life and make them
   better citizens.
      - Confidence that they can create things they care about.
      - Help others
      - How to work with others and build a team
      - Explore different ways of Knowing/expressing something
         - Write it in Scratch, JavaScript, programming another person, etc.
      - Balancing Churchill and Twain
         - Never, Never, Never Give Up. - Winston Churchill
         - Try, Try again, then give up. There no sense making a damn fool
         of yourself - Mark Twain
         - NOTE: I like giving kids conflicting suggestions.  First it
         forces them to think.  Second, It requires them to look for
appropriate
         balances and realize things are not always black and white.
      - Try understanding “Why it works” (especially after "hunting and
      pecking" until you get an answer)
      - Look for connections
   - Things I look for and questions/comments I ask/make toward this end.
      - How is these two things the same and how are they different?
      - How else could you do this?
      - Do the simplest thing possible to make it work. Then you can refine
      later.
      - Its okay to make mistakes.
         - I expect mistakes. In fact if you aren’t making mistakes you
         aren’t trying hard enough.
         - What can you learn from that mistake?
         - Learn from the mistakes of others. You don't have time to make
         them all yourself.
      - Wow that’s cool, how did you do that?
      - How did you come up with that idea?
      - What did you try that didn’t work?
      - If a student finishes early, ask them to help someone else. Part of
      this is training them to help in a way, that builds up the other students
      and tries to question them toward an answer, or provide examples or small
      pieces of code they can look at and try and figure out. That said,
      sometimes, doing it for them is appropriate.
      - Make mistakes on purpose and see what happens.
         - Done with text based languages so they can see the error the
         compiler produces and get a better understanding and
appreciation of the
         error messages.
      - Give them: Wheres the bug problems.
      - Read their code out loud to themselves and
      imagine/visulize/kineticize (move your hands/body to mimic what
the code is
      doing, good for drawing shapes projects).
         - I tell them reading it out loud helps you slow down and see what
         your code is really doing, which is often NOT what you want
it to do.  (“Do
         what I meant, Not what I said”)
      - Its okay to copy (re-use and hopefully re-mix)
      - Can you make this a re-usable compoment that you can use in other
      projects? Should you?
      - How is this like (fill in the blank) and How is it NOT like (fill
      in the blank)
         - Example 1: Scratch Draft Curricullum comparing programming each
         other how to Dance with how its like programming in Scratch.
         - Example 2: How are these programs, which all do the same thing,
         but are written in different languages (one in Scratch, one
in Java Script
         and one in Squeak) similar and different?

I also want to comment on the question that came up towards the end

How do you encourage kids to be bold? (and not afraid to ask questions or
make mistakes)

But that's another post.