[squeakland] [IAEP] Why Is programming an unnatural activity?

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Fri Mar 2 07:45:27 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 7:36 PM, karl ramberg wrote:

>>> Is it not that concise description or definition of any issue is hard.
>>
>> Most stuff we think or say is quite general and has all sorts of context
>> and preconsieved notion.
>> Once we have to work out the details we run into problems and that is
>> where the hard comes from.

That makes sense to me. In a similar way, it is hard for parliaments
and appeals courts to draft new laws, and, I imagine it is hard to
write diagnostic manuals (for physicians).

Yet such things are applied by people: they can fall back on the
discretion and good intentions of the doctor, official or judge that
applies them. Machines have no such intentions or discretion, which
probably makes programming even harder.

Have fun! David