[squeakland] sixteen items for Squeakland 2012 - item 9: ScratchConnect

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Fri Mar 9 18:01:15 EST 2012

On Feb 28, 2012, at 1:35 PM, Ricardo Moran wrote:

> 9. Add Koji Yokokawa's ScratchConnect (game controls and game displays)
> This will allow kids to create “game controllers” using Etoys Projects on one set of computers to control a “game display” (another Etoys or Scratch Project) on another computer.
>

> Hi, I've been looking at ScratchConnect (http://www.squeaksource.com/ScratchConnect.html) and I think it would be cool if we can include it in the release. I think the code seems fine. Although it doesn't follow the Etoys pattern of adding methods directly to Player, I don't think this minor difference is important enough to fork it.
>
> The other problem is the license, I haven't found any info about it yet. Should we ask the author about it?
>
> Cheers,
> Richo

I emailed to Koji-san several days ago asking him about the license, but have not heard back.

Not sure where that leaves us, but presumably we can't/shouldn't incorporate ScratchConnect into our 5.0 release unless/until we hear from him that the license is MIT.

Perhaps someone else, preferably someone Koji-san knows personally, might have another try at contacting him.

 -- Scott