[squeakland] Learnable Programming

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 15:18:20 EST 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 8:00 PM,  <mokurai at earthtreasury.org> wrote:
> Bookmarked to use in the Etoys Reference Manual. Thanks.
>
> I took off a few days for the election, but will be back on the manual as
> soon as I clear out this e-mail backlog. It is going quite well, although
> there are a few niggles, and I have reported a number of bugs in Etoys,
> some of them serious.
>
> I am starting to plan out a companion Etoys by Example, which will include
> dissections and annotations of the projects provided with Etoys v5, and a
> variety of extensions. I was particularly pleased to see the fractions
> project, which has endless potential for further development.
>
> I have had a notion of using Etoys to write OERs (Open Educational
> Resources) to replace textbooks (see link in sig). I can see the outlines
> of an architecture for this, but I need help to understand and explain how
> to construct interactive books such as some of the projects use.

Ask away, There are many people here that can help you here.

> I have mentioned the need for an extensive proofreading and refactoring of
> Etoys, plus writing of many more comments on classes and methods. Who is
> working on such things?

I do this as far as I have ability to.

Refactorings is a long process, as one have to grasp the much of
system and reformulate it in
a more concise way. Often the complexity is mindnumbing ;-)

Proofreading should be quite easy,
 You can post issues on http://tracker.squeakland.org/
Presented in this form it is quite fast for developers to fix:
http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-1036

An other possibility is that you do the fixes yourself and upload
them. It's a few tools that needs to be
mastered to be able to do that but I assure you that it is quite fun :-)

A very very brief document is posted here on how to develop for Etoys:
http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/Documentation/Developer-HowTo.txt

Karl