[squeakland] Learnable Programming

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Nov 8 09:32:31 EST 2012

On 2012-11-08, at 00:11, mokurai at earthtreasury.org wrote:

> A complete refactoring of Squeak would be a huge undertaking, but I have
> in mind refactoring a little bit at a time, as recommended in Extreme
> Programming. At some point, I intend to produce a list of issues that I
> would like to see fixed. Some of them are quite simple, such as objects
> not in categories in the Object Catalog, and useful objects not in the
> Object Catalog at all. (Tetris is not in the Games category.) Producing
> meaningful comments for most Classes is more complex. There are other
> coding issues, including bugs. Then there are architectural issues, where
> we have to ask what purposes we are trying to fulfill.

Since you're new here I should mention that our medium-term goal is to merge the Etoys fork of Squeak back into the main squeak.org version, which has a larger and more active developer community. The Etoys image than would become just a pre-configured variant of Squeak.

That means that if you think about adding better comments for Etoys objects, this would best be done in the Etoys image. Comments for other Squeak classes would better be contributed directly to Squeak at squeak.org.

Also, since this is very much a developer issue, the etoys-dev list would be better suited as discussion place.

- Bert -