[squeakland] Etoys for touch screens

Harness, Kathleen kharness at illinois.edu
Fri Oct 12 07:19:56 EDT 2012

Subbu,
What a great a idea! I know kids would love move shapes with their voice. Wait, I would love to move shapes with my voice!

The museum director said to focus on ages 4-8 for these projects. You might have noticed how low on the screen most of the things are. It is because they have a raised platform in front of the smart board and even with that, the youngest children can't reach much above the halfway mark.

It was a different kind of project for me to design where I would not be there to help and where the project had to be pretty much self explanatory and sturdy. They are breakable but seemed to be resilient enough to be used by kids who had no instructions at all and just could explore a nice place and see what happens. I will let you know after a few months of use how director evaluates Etoys.
Regards,
Kathleen