[squeakland] Need help with a "Candy Snatcher Detector" project

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Wed Oct 17 01:03:00 EDT 2012

 I have a group of kids and we are working on building a Candy Snatcher
Detector.  We are using a Makey Makey we built Candy Detectors and can tell
when a kid takes more than one candy.  The kids also build two versions of
a "Silly String Shooter" which will shoot the offending Candy Snatcher.
 The problem we are trying to solve is how to trigger the Silly String
Shooter.  In one version they are using Lego NXT to fire the Silly String.
(we may switch to Arduino in one version, but I would still need to trigger
the Arduino from Scratch).  In the other they build a pneumatic lever,
which will probably also be run from NXT. We had the following ideas:

1) Have the Scratch program trigger the lighting of an LED, which a
carefully constructed NXT light sensor could detect and then fire the silly
string

2) Somehow send a signal to the NXT from Scratch

3) Have a small section of the screen (which we have the light detector
pointing toward (with light shields so it only sees one small corner) and
we change the color from black to white on that section when we want to
fire the NXT.

Okay, having asked this, I realized Ricardo and team have built Physical
Etoys <http://tecnodacta.com.ar/gira/projects/physical-etoys/> (which I
will be downloading and playing with shortly, about time!!!)

Ricardo,

         Does Physical Etoys support Scratch Connect?  If not, can I simply
load in the ScratchConnect-ky.6.mcz<http://www.squeaksource.com/ScratchConnect/ScratchConnect-ky.6.mcz>
from
squeaksource?

Well we shall try.