[squeakland] World menu

Harness, Kathleen kharness at illinois.edu
Sat Sep 8 07:56:08 EDT 2012

Hi,
I am glad you are taking an active interest in Etoys. The Floss manuals are always a work in progress.

I read your comments to the lists and enjoy thinking about your point of view.  The attachment is my view of Etoys in response to your question: "Am I right in thinking that it is meant to provide a greatly restricted programming environment on the surface, where only a few Squeak/Smalltalk objects and methods are available without going behind the scenes, chosen for younger children?"

For me as a teacher, Etoys is a great way to interest children who might not otherwise know the power they can have over the computer. The difference in being an author of a program and being a user of a program is enormous. For me as an author, Etoys lets me express ideas I could not share any other way.
Regards,
Kathleen