[squeakland] Etoys on Android

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Tue Feb 12 12:47:22 EST 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> On 2013-02-12, at 14:41, Rita Freudenberg <rita at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > another question arised today about Etoys on Android. Can someone give a
> short summary of what needs to be done for Etoys to run on Android?
>
> Pretty much the same as for iOS: Design and implement a UI that is usable
> by touch.
>
> That's the biggie.

While I am all for "authoring always on" having Etoys projects that could
run on Android (without authoring, which would be really annoying for fat
finger folks like myself on such a small screen)  would be a BIG motivator
for kids.
It would also help us get a lot more usage and attraction to Etoys.
Imaging creating an Android App as simple as creating an Etoys project!!!

Getting it to work shouldn't take much longer than a couple of weekends,
> given that there is a Squeak VM already available.

Just to clear I assume the unit is "Bert weekends"