[squeakland] Test for several conditions met

Mike Lee curiouslee at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 23:52:57 EST 2013

Thank you!

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 11:33 PM, Steve Thomas <sthomas1 at gosargon.com>wrote:

> I really love that you can use Etoys to explain all your questions and
> mock up the user interface  you are looking for quickly and easily.

Yes, I finally can get around Etoys well enough to use it like Powerpoint.

> I modified your project and you can find what I think you want here:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/snvqi0bgy3e1y0f/Match%20Answer%20Quiz.008.pr
>
> In the modified project I embedded the text in a rectangle, then locked
> the text (to avoid, the user changing the answer or getting frustrated by
> clicking to drag and winding up with a cursor shown inside the text
> instead).  Would be best to use "Text Rectangle" inside "Connectors" in the
> "Object Catalog".  I would still lock the text when done.  If you are
> creating sample projects for volunteers to modify, you could then script
> the "Text Rectangle".

Yes, I will need to lock the text to a rectangle and script to the
rectangle. I didn't think to use the "Text Rectangle"--much easier. Others,
including teachers, students and volunteers in Zambia, will indeed need to
modify sample and template projects I will create. My USAID funded two
weeks there starting 2/16 affords a golden opportunity to work with the
local folks in person.

> Then the volunteer could simply change the text and rearrange the Q and A
> boxes so the answers aren't always in the same position.

Yes, and adjust slightly for sets of answers that vary between 3 and 10.

> There are other ways to script this as well, that could make life easier
> for volunteers, I am assuming you want them to focus on content creation
> and not learning all of Etoys.

I would like to understand some of the other ways. The interaction scripts
will have to be applied to existing lessons, hopefully encapsulating as
much of the script detail as possible into objects that can be dragged in
from a production flap and "hooked up" to the existing text authored by the
teachers back in 2011.

> On another note, I often see kids hunt and peck until they find the answer
> (or in this case drag until green).  I wonder if it cold be designed
> differently to discourage that (at least a little) via a "Check Answers"
> button and/or a set of stars where you gain and lose stars for right and
> wrong answers?

Absolutely an issue. In the example you sent back, we would want not to
provide confirmation of success until all the answers are placed in the
correct slots. I expect a couple of the students to "cheat" and hack the
scripts--bonus for that!