[squeakland] Change button state image

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Wed Jul 3 12:53:26 EDT 2013

Mike,

Good to hear from you.  Still swamped, but never so much I can't find time
to help you or one of your students.
First you do not need the *mouseWatcher* script.  mouseDown/mouseUp are
event listeners that are always listening, no need to start those scripts
or keep them running.  Try deleting that script and your project will still
work.

Okay, a couple of other options depending on how David wants to use this.

1) You can use a holder to hold the two (or more) images you want to switch
between, then iterate through the holder on each mouse down. See page 2 of
attached project.  This has the advantage of introducing David to
collections and iterating through the collections (in a visual way where
the holder can help visualize the concepts. See page 1 of attached project.

2) You can use show/hide with two objects where if you click on one object
it hides itself and shows the other (an visa versa). See page 2 of attached
project)

3) You can get really elaborate and create your own Memorize Game (which
students can use to build their own (see page 3 of attached project, I may
need to find a way to make the code simpler and more readable, but it
works).

4) You could create your own scripting tile  (well not a real scripting
tile, which would be cool if you could do that) if I have time I might
demonstrate that later.

Also FYI, I am working on a project to allow disabled kids who can only say
squeeze a stuffed animal an have some gross movement skills to communicate
with others using Etoys. And also allow their teachers and parents to
create their own pictographs the child can use to communicate.  More on
that later.

Cheers,
Stephen

--

To some of us, writing computer programs is a fascinating game. A program
is a building of thought. It is costless to build, weightless, growing

When a program works, it is beautiful. The art of programming is the skill
of controlling complexity. The great program is subdued, made simple in its
complexity.

- Martin Harverbeke (from Eloquent
JavaScript<http://eloquentjavascript.net/index.html>
)