[squeakland] Etoys and Connectors package programming...

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Fri Sep 13 23:43:47 EDT 2013

Lawson,

Also with what object did you associate the "self hide" script?

When you "tell all outgoing connectors" to run a script the script that
gets run is associated with the connector (not the object connected at the
destination of the connector).

Now if you use "tell all succesors" then the script that is run is that of
the connectors destination/

So in the example below:
*Rectangle:script1* - Will cause *Arrow2:script1* to execute, causing the
ellipse to change color
*Rectangle:script2* - Will cause *Ellipse:script1* to execute, causing the
ellipse to turn by 5

[image: Inline image 1]

Hope this helps,
Stephen

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 10:10 PM, Lawson English <lenglish5 at cox.net> wrote:

>  Hi.
>
> I'm trying to use the Connectors package within EToys to generate a
> complicated movie.
>
> First step: create a graph of nodes with connections between them (done
> -or at least, doable).
>
> Second step: manipulate connectors with scripts from within EToys.
>
> and... nothing.
>
> I've located the script "tell all outgoing connectors" associated with a
> single node. I've created a script with the code
>
> ^self hide
>
> and associated it with the "tell all outgoing connectors" and "tell all
> incoming connectors" scripts and attempted to fire it once.
>
> Nothing happens.
>
> Ok, so I tried a different script:
>
> hide.
>
> ^ self.
>

> Nothing happens.
>
> I know how to use Connectors directly within Squeak. I've made youtube
> tutorials on how to figure out how to do arbitrary stuff with Connectors at
> teh Squeak level using the debugging tools. I'm stymied at step 2 using
> EToys.
>

> :-/
>
> Suggestions?
>

> Thanks.

To some of us, writing computer programs is a fascinating game. A program
is a building of thought. It is costless to build, weightless, growing
easily under our typing hands. If we get carried away, its size and
complexity will grow out of control, confusing even the one who created it.
This is the main problem of programming. It is why so much of today's
software tends to crash, fail, screw up.

When a program works, it is beautiful. The art of programming is the skill
of controlling complexity. The great program is subdued, made simple in its
complexity.

- Martin Harverbeke (from Eloquent
JavaScript<http://eloquentjavascript.net/index.html>
)