[squeakland] TimeLapse/How-To Slider (short video demo)

Jeremy Landry hakyoku at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 19:09:57 UTC 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWthhkw6j1c

One of the things that the original Etoys team made clear was that they
didn't want high quality graphics to discourage users from making their
own. The idea was make them serviceable for the demo, but also make them
'bad' enough so anyone seeing it for the first time would have the feeling
of "I can do better than that".

Personally, I think going the opposite direction for graphics than the code
(i.e. the codebase of etoys/smalltalk is ridiculously overwhelmingly 'good'
compared to what I can code, for instance) doesn't make any sense when
thinking about total consistency.

Something like this could help improve people's ability to think about
drawing.  In this case, the scene is 1 point perspective and created using
nothing but 'polygon' and 'circle' objects along with setting their fill
and border properties such that they work together to create a solid
image.

Basically, the slider takes it's own value then then sets everything in the
world on one side of that value to SHOW and everything else on the other
side to HIDE.

It has further use; being able to 'dig down' into things really far down in
the drawing becomes difficult as you mix shapes...this slider can help
quickly find a way to access a partially covered up shape to edit, or even
add new shapes in between others.