[squeakland] Question about Audio Buffer/Timing

Jeremy Landry hakyoku at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 19:32:22 UTC 2018

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nJlQ4huXcKZmTm6GADl40ZrWAEd7Kv97/view?usp=sharing

This is a demo of the problem for ETOYS 5 (along with some other stuff
there that shows what I've looked into, to some degree).  Hitting play on
the scriptor, you will hear a sequence that has awful timing.  I don't
expect 'sample perfect', zero latency or anything spectacular, but it would
seem that if there's timers in the system, everything should adhere to it,
or else not be called timers and something like,
'when-we-get-around-to-its'.  This video here demonstrates that Squeak, at
least, can do timing just fine and older versions have midi demos, but
again, I'm using Etoys for a specific reason, so it's confusing me as to
why the delays happen...

Both sequencers are mouse interactive and playing with the script timer and
setting blocks on/off can reveal this hidden metronome...maybe that IS the
buffer?  I'm not sure...what's most puzzling is that sometimes it will
sound right, and sometimes it won't...even if it wasn't correct, I'd
probably be okay if it was consistently incorrect because I can actually
work with consistency, so I guess if nothing else, that's what I'm trying
to figure out how to get without making tile usage unavailable for a
sequencer built on etoys tiles...

Thanks for all the efforts so far...I did notice some changing in the
timing when I checked the preference there but also unchecked the
preference of stopSoundsWhenDone, just in case it was hiccuping by shutting
down the sound stream then making a new one.  It didn't help, but I had
forgotten about these preferences.