[squeakland] [Newbies] Squeak Oversight Board Election 2018

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jan 10 04:10:34 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jan 07, 2018 at 08:45:49AM -0500, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It's that time again. Time to raise your voices and elect your leaders! Can
> you believe it's been a year already?
>
> It's a time for you to stand up, help your community and volunteer to serve!

I am running for the Squeak Oversight Board this year.

I am, and always have been, a Squeak hobby programmer. This means that my
involvement in Squeak, and in the various projects that I have developed
over the years, is based purely on the enjoyment of doing these projects,
and of working with the Squeak Smalltalk system. I value Squeak as a tool
for thinking, exploring, and learning.

I also believe that it is important that Squeak continue to be the premier
platform for development of new ideas and technology. If someone wants to
develop new VM technology for performance (Spur and Sista) or extreme
portability (SqueakJS) then I want Squeak to be the preferred platform for
exploring and advancing these new developments. I also would like Squeak to
be a preferred platform for new ideas in music, arts, and teaching.

Although I have no interest in making money from Squeak, I do have personal
experience that demonstrates that these are not incompatible objectives.
I currently do technology management and systems integration work, and I
can honestly say that the majority of the paid work that I have done in the
last 10 or 15 years would not have been possible without the education that
I gained from working in Squeak.

As a member of the Squeak Oversight Board, my priority is to continue to
advance Squeak as a learning tool and a thinking tool, whether for personal
and hobby use or for commercial purposes.

Dave