[SqNOS] Compiling

Gerardo Richarte gera at corest.com
Fri Jun 16 23:40:49 UTC 2006

Hi, today we had a great time at #squeak (IRC). Craig was trying to
compile a new VM for SqueakNOS (I guess he's trying some kind of spoon
and SqueakNOS integration!), and he have some problems. So, if anybody
wants to compile, this is how to do it (and how to apply some patches).

All from linux, sorry.

>From the CD (or .ISO image) get the copy trunk to your hard drive, and
make it writable (if it's not):

this is a working pseudoscript, read all before trying, although nothing
bad can happen if you try:

mount -o loop SqueakNOS-today.iso /cdrom
cp -R /cdrom/trunk .
chmod -R w+ trunk
cd trunk/platforms/SqueakNOS
cp /cdrom/Squeak*image boot/iso.template
cp /cdrom/Squeak*changes boot/iso.template
make distro

this should leave SqueakNOS-today.tar.bz2 and SqueakNOS-today.zip in
directory release.

Now, "make distro" may fail, if so, or if you prefer try "make iso"
instead, this'll leave SqueakNOS.iso in release and may be enough for you.

If you have gcc < 4 you may experience problems related to strlen,
memcpy and memcmp. Edit the Makefile in and change this line to:

LIBCOBJS = strcpy.o strncmp.o strcmp.o strlen.o memcpy.o memcmp.o

(add strlen.o memcpy.o memcmp.o to the end of the existing)

try to make again, this should be it.

    let me know if you experience any problems

    gera