[SqNOS] Grub changes

Gerardo Richarte gera at corest.com
Sun Sep 7 19:44:41 UTC 2008

John Thornborrow wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Where can I get my hands on the changes made to grub (namely for setvbe?)
>
> I'm trying to get together a compilation package (ebuild) on gentoo,
> and will need these sources :)
I have all the changes required, let me get them together and send them
to you.

However, I have to say that I tried to push this changes to GRUB, but as
we are using GRUB Legacy and the GRUB team refuses to take any additions
to Legacy (except bugfixes), they refused this changes (this was somehow
two years ago). Not sure how you are planning on including this in
gentoo, but as GRUB is quite likely included in gentoo, this changes
will either force gentoo to branch from GRUB "central", or to ship a
complete set of source files for GRUB as part of SqueakNOS.

I have both, modified vanilla GRUB Legacy and modified GRUB4DOS, which
IMHO is much more powerful that vanilla GRUB, as it lets you boot from
DOS and more important, chaining GRUB after Windows bootloader (ntldr),
what makes it a quite non-intrusive option for Windows users.

    Please, tell me what are you planning. In any case, I'll prepare a
pack and send it to you.

    richie