[SqNOS] Building SqueakNOS on Ubuntu

Ryan Macnak rmacnak at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 02:21:46 UTC 2011

Thanks for the help, got a successful build.

commenting out longjump + Ubuntu 10.10 => builds but SqueakNOS gets stuck at
a slash screen
Ubuntu 10.4 => same undefined reference error
commenting out longjump + Ubuntu 10.4 => successful build

- if you are going to compile, I suggest cloning the latest git, we have
> worked for around a year on it so it is pretty much better (we shall release
> a new package soon anyway).

Will this be Squeak 4.1 based?  Also, what are the prospects of the kernel
being based on the Cog Stack or Cogit vms?

- maybe you don't need to compile the kernel at all. The idea is to work at
> high level, so only in counted cases should you recompile it.

Of course, working at a high level is what makes it so appealing :)  My
interest is to produce a version of the SqueakNOS kernel that understands
the Newspeak bytecodes.  I am hoping that running the Newspeak branch of
VMMaker on top of a version of SqueakNOS from circa Squeak 3.9 will not be
too painful, or perhaps more likely, that I can add the bytecodes to the
SqueakNOS's VMMaker.

Thanks,
Ryan