Re: [SqNOS] SqueakNOS on Dell Optiplex

petdvo at volny.cz petdvo at volny.cz
Thu Mar 17 14:40:25 UTC 2011

>Hello Petr,
>
>Unfortunately we don't have much documentation. Basicaly because
>SqueakNOS
>>is based on SqueakVM and SqueakVM is not very well documented.
>
>However, with the new release we will upload on next days, we will
>probably
>>add some links to most of the documents we have read to gain
>expierence with
>>squeakVM low-level stuff.

Would be great. :)

>It would be really nice to have squeakNOS ported to ARM. I think
>there is
>>already a port to arm for the SqueakVM. I don't know exactly its
>status. But
>>it should not be hard to merge that with SqueakNos cause as i
>already said,
>>SqueakNOS virtual machine is almost similar to Squeak VM. There are
>not
>>much changes to the vm, the idea is to work as much as possible on
>image
>>side.

Yes, there is ARM port as I know, I've seen squeak running on Google
G1 phone, which is arm based. The plattform I'd like to use for some
embedded apps (one is brushless motor control) already have its own
Linux distribution, I am planning to install Squeak/Pharo on top of
it in the first step, but standalone Squeak would be nicer ;). (I
want to use Squeak for non-realtime tasks and for displaying,
realtime tasks are performed by FPGA chip onboard .. I think it
could be also interesting to use this FPGA to implement some
performance critical tasks as a kind of primitive call from squeak)

>Anyway, feel free to email any doubt on the list.
>
>Cheers,
>Guido.

> Hello,
>
> that's great, looking forwrd to the next version
> of SqueakNOS!
> Building up a good documentation would also be
> very nice, for it helps starters to get into
> hacking SqueakNOS, something were I currently hit
> constraints.

Well, I din't really started yet with NOS, but I agree. Squeak
documentation is the weak part ..

> A ARM port would be great!! Maybe there can be a
> common trunk, so development can progress in
> parallel on both platforms...?
>
> Thanks and cheers
> Michael

I suppose it should still be just one project, just the loader and
VM may be different slighlty. Howewer I am interested in supporting
hardware that may be uncommon in PC's or even mobile phones I think.
The one of first things I need to get working is the armadeus's
i.MX<->FPGA interconnection which is essential for this computer.

> Am 14.03.2011 um 16:47 schrieb Guido Chari:
>
> > That's very good news!
> >
> > Keep in touch cause we are planning to upload a
> > new release on this or next week.
> > >
> > Probably mouse wheel will be fixed.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Guido.