[UI] What's next?

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sat Sep 1 22:58:04 UTC 2007

Jason,

It won't have the full effect until you change the preferences to use
other than the standard Squeak theme.  I recommend Soft Squeak; with the
Vistary theme, I find myself struggling to read button text through the
shadows.

Warning: you might have some trouble closing windows after installing,
so it is best to close all non-essential windows before installing.

I would very much like for you observation about input focus to be true,
but change the theme and try the basic controls example (class side of
UITheme): even the disabled text field snatches the focus in my
experience, and Gary confirmed that he had not addressed the behavior,
unless he has already done it and/or I grabbed the wrong version??

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com 09/01/07 6:09 PM >>>
On 9/1/07, Bill Schwab <BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Do any of you have any regrets about installing Gary's packages?  I am
> tempted to load them into my working 3.9 image.  Any reports of bad
> experience would be appreciated.

I just installed the package.  The only thing I noticed that changed
was the very cool task bar.  I also noticed that all the windows I had
open before the change had a straight line on the top left corner as
if the rounding was having an error.  New windows I opened after the
change didn't have this.

> I am tempted to vote in the affirmative on the latter, and
> hope that we will go further by taming the mouse-over activation and
> focus madness.

After I installed the changes I noticed I *do not* have "follow the
mouse" behavior anymore.  It seems to be traditional windows behavior.
 Did someone change something?

> Gary's work is yet another illustration that native widgets are not
> necessary to achieve any particular look, and I am confident we can
> illustrate the same re feel.

I agree that native/host widgets are not needed.  And I'm afraid it's
going to be a speed hit in the common/semi-common case.