[UI] [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version sq3.10-7143dev07.09.1

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Mon Sep 3 15:31:47 UTC 2007

Damien,

Re the change sets I had in mind, how many of you use the UF VPN to
download full-text articles, and then copy BibTeX entries from
scholar.google.com, and integrate them into an HTML-based literature
browser? :)  It's quite fragile, and cumbersome, but I try to score it
against the old days of rifling through heavy books and making photo
copies.  If there is interest, I am certainly willing to share the
stuff, but don't expect much, especially since I do most of the useful
work in Dolphin.  I wrote the Squeak side as part of my ongoing Linux
survival course.  For various reasons, I effectively have a personal
internet cafe at home (one box wired, everything else on shoe-net or
perhaps intranets when needed).  An ever flakier windows box lead me to
run up a new machine.  To save money, reduce hassle, and to continue my
move away form Microsoft, I tried Ubuntu.  It stuck, so I wrote
something that notes the most recent document in the "in basket"
(whatever I last saved under a particular path), and expects me to have
put on the clipboard some text in BibTeX format; it then hacks the entry
with a custom field to contain the file name and appends it to a text
editor on the results of the current session.  Stop laughing :)  It
beats doing it by hand =:0  It really beats going to the library ;)

More generally, I have some things aimed at solving problems hopefully
to be addressed here, but they are incomplete and largely superseded by
Gary's work - no hard feelings on my part :)

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> damien.cassou at gmail.com 09/03/07 9:51 AM >>>
Hi Bill,

2007/9/3, Bill Schwab <BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu>:
> Great idea!  As a side note, implementors, etc. seem to work fine; for
> whatever reason, my image was not happy, so I will probably just move
> some change sets into your image.

Your change sets might be usefull to anyone. Why not sharing them in
the mailing list?

> One comment: the scrollbars do not work as well as they did in my
> previous image.  Clicks between the thumb and top/bottom buttons
> (up/down a "page") appear to be ignored quite frequently.  There might
> be some other lost clicks, but that was where I noticed it most.  Is
> that a 3.10 bug?

I don't know. I noticed different bugs too.

> I _might_ have pre-selected the soft-squeak theme.  The down-side
would
> be to turn off some users (but I doubt those people will ever agree to
> change to the GUI).  Either way, I would place a workspace in the
image,
> having expressions ready to change the theme to soft and standard, and
> just about anything that opens a debugger, which IMHO received the
most
> stunning facelift of the entire image.  Given the way Smalltalkers
rely
> on it, that is a good thing because it might hook some people enough
> get them to support some changes.

The script manager is a better place to put documentation and code.
Please see the package ImageForDevelopers
http://www.squeaksource.com/ImageForDevelopers/ and add what sounds
useful to you.

--
Damien Cassou