[UI] What's next?

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tue Sep 4 16:18:15 UTC 2007

Gary,

Unless they are really desperate and computer aware enough to understand
what is going on, my prediction is that they would complain about menus
that get picked up on errant clicks, "random" focus movement, etc.  I
know it drives me nuts.  I push Dolphin pretty hard.  Not that I would
enter a contest, but people sometimes complain about the racket while I
type; I burst at well over 100 words per minute when I am "on" [*].
Note that I can do this only when the words are in my head vs. on paper.
 Regardless of the details, Squeak's GUI feels incredibly fragile to me
by comparison to Dolphin's, and in fact, just about any text or
programmer's editor I have ever used.  I suspect your users would have
the same reaction.

My problems with #topWindow were in 3.9; no lost clicks there.  I never
quite fixed the IDE problems though (implementors etc. throw walkbalks),
very likely my fault.  The 3.10 Squeak-dev image works, except that it
suffers lost clicks.

Bill

[*] Note that I am a mere shadow of the fastest typist I have ever seen.
 She was a secretary in my department during grad school, and literally
wore the markings off of keyboards.  Scary thing was she could talk
while going at full speed (accurately too).

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com 09/04/07 11:35 AM >>>
As for users... Yet to be deployed to them (Report Builder)... Though I
have
done some work on "lock-down" to prevent unexpected menus etc in a
deployed
application.

For version, this has not been tested by myself with 3.10, just 3.9. I
haven't noticed any "lost clicks" with scrollbars but then, they are
timing/step based for the "page" areas...