[UI] We haven't discussed Host windows yet

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 17:06:02 UTC 2007

On Thu September 6 2007, Jason Johnson wrote:
> On 9/6/07, Herbert König <herbertkoenig at gmx.net> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > after having spent some hours with Gary's work, (not yet tried the
> > latest version) I think our discussions do not cover:
> >
> > 1-Dialogs usually are not limited to the main window.
> >
> > 2-Some applications need fixed window size.
> >
> > 2-Not every application needs full window decorations (maximize,
> > minimize, close).
> >
> > IMO these call for host windows. Not as a matter of look (I'd prefer
> > Morphic) but as a matter of feel. The third point needs an extension
> > to the HostWindows plugin, maybe this is not possible to do
> > independent of the platform.
>
> I would like to assert that we have a host window:  The one we draw
> squeak on now.  We just don't use it to put on native
> widgets/controls.
>
> The thing I see missing is we need to be able to open more of those,
> but I think Gary has clearly shown that we can go far fast with the
> current set up.
>
> As far as look and feel, lots of applications are written in Java
> these days, so I don't think "it MUST look like <insert OS here>"
> apply anymore.  I agree with Bill that feel is much much more
> important.

I agree about the feel. I also think we can do a lot with the "Squeak" look
and users are more open to different looks as long as it allows them to get
their work done efficiently.

Speaking of widgets: I was thinking of this the other day. If the iGoogle
widgets, and other widgets that are "popular" today, were available on
Squeak, it might make Squeak more popular for users. And, it might entice
programmers to build widgets for the Squeak desktop.

What I was thinking was a way to load the widget onto the Squeak desktop to
make Squeak more of a central repository of widgets. I haven't found many
useful iGoogle widgets, but just think what one could do with widgets in
concert with all the cool things already in squeak.

Amnesty Widges has done this for the desktop:
http://www.amnestywidgets.com/HypercubeWin.html

I see their product as merely moving the widget to another location. But, if
widgets were on the squeak desktop, there could be interaction between
iGoogle widgets and Squeak objects - a more dynabook approach.

brad