[UI] We haven't discussed Host windows yet

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Thu Sep 6 20:42:16 UTC 2007

Hello Igor,

IS> Yes, i think that was the plan. But given the host OS windows is not
IS> enough to make them work. They also need a message loop
IS> implementation. And this is the point, where easy integration fails..

umm, thanks for the reminder! Read thru the HostWindowPlugin again and
you're right. Ffenestri only provides for opening, closing and
positioning host windows.

So I'm back to my "one image per dialog" and my SqueakWindowPlugin.
Maybe use SqueakLight or an older (smaller) image and start them up
early but invisible unless needed. Screen space sometimes is more
precious than memory or cpu power.

I withdraw my proposal, as it seems not doable with the manpower we
have. When I have something useful I'll publish my plugin so people
willing to pay the memory price can have multiple host windows.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net