[UI] We haven't discussed Host windows yet

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Thu Sep 6 21:17:06 UTC 2007

I submit that native==fast is a myth.  The fact that I can pound on
Dolphin and tread lightly in Squeak is due to feel, and Dolphin indeed
gets that from the host.  However, when the going gets tough (large
grids), I emulate for speed.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com 9/6/2007 2:53 PM >>>
On 9/6/07, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/09/07, Jason Johnson <jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/6/07, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>
> Yes, i think that was the plan. But given the host OS windows is not
> enough to make them work. They also need a message loop
> implementation. And this is the point, where easy integration
fails..
> First, messaging APIs is very different on many OSes. Second, you
need
> to install callbacks to be able to handle events from OS. All this
> raises complexity to nearly impenetrable  levels.

Ah, but I'm not so interested/sold on going full blow platform
windows.  I just want to be able to open new ones for e.g. modal
windows (and I suspect the start up code could use some
care/refactory).  I would still want to use Blt'ing or your OpenGL
stuff because of the message passing issues with widgets.

Dolphin is/was a snappy beautiful Smalltalk with 100% (afaik) native
windows.  But that's after who knows how long of tuning, and it only
ran on windows.