[UI] Squeak's Menus Are Awful

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Sep 13 22:54:47 UTC 2007

On 13-Sep-07, at 3:18 PM, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> Specifically, they open to the right of the mouse.
There's a good reason for that; if you click the mouse button you get
a button-down followed by a button-up. If the menu opened under the
mouse location you would have accidentally picked whatever item was
in the right place. Delete all files, anyone?

It's particularly likely to be annoying when the menus are slow to
dispaly, which they certainly seem to be in recent Squeak images. Now
venting about Morphic performance in 3.9 is something worth doing.
Dismal. And I'm running on a 2GHz dualcore OSX machine with 2Gb ram,
not exactly a slow system.

>   If you open a menu, don't move the mouse, and click, you will
> pick up the menu with the hand.  This happens to me - oh - about
> 50% of the time.  Either open the menu under the mouse, or make it
> so I can't pick it up except with the title bar.
Do the latter for the reasons mentioned above. Being able to pick up
a menu at any point is insane.

tim
Press [ESC] to detonate or any other key to explode.