[UI] Well, shall we do something then?

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 15:45:40 UTC 2007

On 9/14/07, Bill Schwab <BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu> wrote:
> Jason, Gary,
>
> Sorry for the delay in response.  I am a little nervous about mining
> Dolphin, because it would be easy to trick ourselves into thinking we
> have a cleanroom implementation.

Hadn't thought about that.

> The other Dolphin-related topic is the buyout effort.  If we succeed
> with it, then Dolphin would be open, and one could simply port its
> framework to Squeak.  I dread putting the brakes on enthusiasm, but in
> this case, it might be appropriate to do other things while the buyout
> works its way forward.

Does this buyout realistically have a chance?  I mean don't they want
like half a million USD or so?

> With that said, how do you envision a rewrite working?  How would I
> ensure that I am not simply copying OA's work?  Typically, I have seen
> this kind of thing done by two people, one or more consultant/guides
> familiar with (aka tainted by knowledge of) the reference system, and
> developers sworn to never look at the reference system.  The "blinded"
> developers write the actual code.  In that model, I would be a very good
> guide, but I know too much about Dolphin to write the framework myself.
>
> Fair?
>
> Bill

Well, I hadn't thought about it honestly, but there are several papers
on the subject matter.  One from Dolphin at at least one other one
that predates the Dolphin effort.  I think we could work from there,
no?