[UI] Well, shall we do something then?

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Wed Sep 19 12:47:18 UTC 2007

Is the weak dictionary problem unique to Squeak?  Dolphin seems to get
along just fine with MVP.  OTOH, what you describe could be a part of
why I emulate for large grids, etc., or it could be a "SquWeakness" that
needs attention.  I use events with the emulated framework, but there is
also some

Years ago now, I made inquires about Squeak's process syncrhonization
objects, and scaling of threads, and was regaled with stories of great
victories over the dragons of software complexity ;)  More recently, I
am getting the sense that (e.g. "we almost had to rewrite in Java") some
of this stuff is just plain broke.  It is unclear whether it really is
sound, or was sound and has since gotten into trouble, etc.

Any ideas?

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 12:38:44AM +0300, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> On 18/09/2007, Gary Chambers <gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > Well, there is the Model but there has to be a linkage for when the
model
> > changes. That's the basics. We need to decide on the way(s) we wish
that to
> > happen. I find changed/update rather inefficient. Much prefer
when:send:to:.

> > But that's just the start. Pretty fundamental though.
> >
> Yes! And i think this is the point where we should start from.
> How to create flexible event system , how exchange data between view
> and model. Based on that we then can build up a model which will use
> it (MVP/Morphic whatever)

A note of caution: The #when:send:to: mechanism can have serious
performance
issues due to its use of weak dictionaries. Performance of the entire
image
is seriously impacted by weak array finalization as the number of these
dictionaries increases. There is no easy fix for this, so make sure you
know what you are getting into before you start with an approach based
on this mechanism.

Dave