[UI] Dev image Naming convention

Ken G. Brown kbrown at mac.com
Mon Apr 14 15:13:56 UTC 2008

At 8:09 PM +0200 4/13/08, Damien Cassou apparently wrote:
>Hi Ken,
>
>squeak-dev releases already saw a lot of different naming schemes. The
>current one is the best I found currently. If you have any idea on how
>to improve, please tell me. The last number will nearly always be 1 so
>it's no big deal. You could also change the 'dev' to 'ken' for
>example.

Don't get me wrong, the current convention seems pretty good. Here's a pretty good rundown on software versioning <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versioning>
Actually just adding a character at the end would work I guess. However if you changed from 'dev' in the middle, to 'dev' at the end, that would also do it.
Before doing so tho, we should have a look at the Versioning link to see if there are ideas for improvement. It seems like your image naming conventions are a bit stuck with keeping synch with whatever the release naming convention is, as well.

I've been following Keith's recommendations at <http://installer.pbwiki.com> for the most part except tidy and clean and am sometimes unsure of what is already in the dev image and what is not. Question-do you use Installer for building the dev images? If not, are there some issues with doing that? I haven't looked closely at how you build. Perhaps a dev image build script on the Installer wiki would be good.

>I also like to have updated tools, that's why I made the dev-images
>the first time.

Yep! Appreciate it...

Ken G. Brown