[UI] Summary

Michael Davies mykdavies+squeak at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 12:38:11 UTC 2008

Hi Vassili,

Thanks for responding - I think your name was mentioned in the talk,
but I couldn't find it when I went back to search, so apologies for
not giving you credit.

>  I'll give a talk specifically about those
>  frameworks at Smalltalk Solutions this June and possibly elsewhere
>  sometime later.

I look forward to that - your work looks very interesting.

>  But to have the expectations right from the start--you have to realize
>  that Brazil and Hopscotch are frameworks for and in Newspeak.

Yes, I should have made that clearer. I think the value in any
discussion would be in understanding the design decisions you are
making, how you're implementing them, and what's driving them.

>  And then if you ask me, I don't think that the biggest problem with
>  the Squeak UI is dearth of UI frameworks

Perhaps "dearth of robust, attractive UI frameworks in active
development" would have been nearer the mark until recently? Now
though, as Gary's email indicated, there are a number of lines of work
proceeding, and it would be useful to ensure that there's
cross-fertilisation between these efforts. The presence of the UI
mailing list is a good start in that direction.

>  much as I believe that Brazil and Hopscotch are The Right Thing :).

:-)

I wonder if you could answer a couple of questions to help my
understanding of your work? I'll understand if you're unable to do so
at present.

What are your usage scenarios for Newspeak that are making UI
development a priority at such an early stage in the development of
the language?
Could you explain the relationship between Brazil and Hopscotch, and
the division of responsibilities between them?

Thanks,
Michael