[V3dot10] Re: 3.10

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 15 16:59:54 UTC 2006

> SUnit is not good enough for me. Just two simple examples:
> -You can't categorize test
> -- long running ones
> -- platform specific ones
> -- tests that need an internet connection
> -- database tests
> -- database tests that mess up the database :(
> -- expected failures (yes that should be a category too)

Philippe I guess we think alike! I have had a go at the categorisation
thing and would value your feedback.
> -- I wan't to be able to combine these tests for lets platform
> specific, long running ones
I think the GUI for the categories handles this requirement.

The next step is to time all of the tests and move the long ones into
their own category so as to get the bulk of the release tests down to a
couple of minutes, for more rapid iterations. The way I figure it is
that if these tests run quickly people are more likely to use them on a
day to day basis.
> - You can't add a listener to a test results
I agree this is needed, especially if this Test server idea is going to fly.

> I didn't even touch the subject of tests that depend on each other
> e.g. reuse the result of a previous one. PhDs have been written about
> this.
Unless I am mistaken that is easy. I have written thousands of tests
like this. You simply call the other method.

MyTestCase-c-#testUseSystem

self testLoginSuccessful
...etc...

I did have a scheme whereby a test could fork down two paths, so as to
explore a decision tree hmm I cant remember exactly it was a long time ago.
> Honestly to me SUnit is seriously laking behind JUnit4. Isn't the sole
> existence of  proof of this?

I would like to get SSpec support merged in with SUnit, particularly the
Mocks.
> Let's face it, Smalltalk code is inherently not portable. It even
> starts with simple things like #initialize. So why should we restrict
> yourselves because some other platform doesn't provide a useful
> feature that eases our life? Should every other Smalltalk not use full
I simply think that someone has to move ahead. As long as you dont do
anything silly the others can catch up if they want to. Something like
SUnit does have to be extended in anticipation of the fact that it will
be used on other platforms. I think that we actually NEED to move on
ahead a bit, but I will avoid using traits in sunit for that reason.

Keith