[V3dot10] Re: Current Harvesting Process

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 03:25:15 UTC 2007

Hi Edgar,

I ran the update-from-server command today updating
from 7081 to I think 7088 (it said 7 updates).
I looked at them in the Recent Changes Browser. Then I
thought to look in a dual change sorter.

The sorter had two listings for each update:

The 708nDiscriptionOfUpdate which was empty
and then an MCx changeset which had the code in it.

So I can actually get at the code. yea!

The reason I wanted to write you though is that the
preamble information from the changesets is not there
anymore.

I use preambles to store my running change notes and
they serve sometimes as vital documentation when
trying to maintain code later. Obviously for my stuff
I could go with some difficulty and look up what I did
either in my own files or on mantis. And the originals
for others may be findable or not on mantis too. The
problem is there would be no garantee that I would
match up the pieces exactly.

So my curiosity wants to know:
1) What happens now to the preambles?
2) Could the info in the preamble comments be
preserved?

It seems to me that the comments from the preambles
could go into the notes MC stores when it updates the
files. That would be both useful and appropriate.

It would also be good if the build process could
retrive those notes and put them in as preamble
comments in the Change set that MC generates.

And finally of course, it would be good to combine the

well named empty changeset and the poorly named code
bearing changeset into one.

This may be asking much. But wishes don't cost as much
as horses.

Cheers.

P.S. I just want to say in public that I really like
the way you have been responsive to the feedback of
everyone contributing to 3dot10. Nice work.