[V3dot10] Monticello and 3.10

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Tue Aug 7 14:18:15 UTC 2007

What shall we choose about Monticello and 3.10?  Opening up the latest
development image and updating in the package browser, I see 4
available versions of Monticello:

  - the version that comes with it
  - version 1.5
  - the "bootstrap" version needed to install the above
  - version 2

It is really great to see so much attention being paid to Monticello!
For a network-maintained version of Squeak to work out, it is
essential to have a good system for loading and unloading packages.

For the specific issue of 3.10, though, we need to settle down on a
standard version, plus possibly some optional variants.  The main
thing I am worried about are compatibility issues.  While forks in
general are fine, it does not make sense to have a fork *within* the
3.10 package universe.

So let me ask a couple of questions to start with:

  1. Which of these versions can be loaded simultaneously?  If they
  have overlapping class names, then they need to be marked as
  conflicting, something that is not even supported in package
  universes right now.

  2. Can you load and save the same packages with all of these?  We
  need to insure that all packages in the 3.10 package universe can
  loaded by all Monticello versions that we bless.

Lex