[V3dot10] Re: Monticello and 3.10

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Sun Aug 12 18:54:09 UTC 2007

"Damien Cassou" <damien.cassou at gmail.com> writes:
> 07 Aug 2007 10:18:15 -0400, Lex Spoon <lex at lexspoon.org>:
> >   1. Which of these versions can be loaded simultaneously?  If they
> >   have overlapping class names, then they need to be marked as
> >   conflicting, something that is not even supported in package
> >   universes right now.
>
> Monticello2 is completely independent and can be loaded without
> conflicts. It's unfinished however.

Excellent.

What about Monticello15?  Is that a non-reversible load?

Also, what is the deal with the "Monticello bootstrap" entry?  Is that
code that should be included in the base of 3.10, or what?  For that
matter, is 1.5 really something that should be an independent package,
or is it mature enough to make the standard version for 3.10 ?

All of this needs to be sorted out for the 3.10 release.  It will be a
real mess if some packages require one version of Monticello while
others require a different, incompatible version of it.

It would be great if someone were to do some actual testing so we
could see where we are.  It would be very helpful to know how many of
the development-universe packages are loadable under each of the four
different Monticello options.

Lex