[V3dot10] Re: Monticello and 3.10

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 15 04:31:41 UTC 2007

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Lex Spoon wrote:
>> Others, have you tried Keith's patches in your own work?  How did
>> it go?
>>
>> Finally, has anyone *reviewed* Keith's patches?  We can and should do
>> so to provide input to the release team.

I have been asking for reviewers, so you are welcome to take a look:
http://mc.squeaksource.com/mc
If you have trouble loading it in your particular variant of MC, try the
source version
http://installer.pbwiki.com/f/Monticello-kphh-434.st

It went beyond the level of patches quite a while ago. In some areas
there have been total rewrites!

e.g.
- There is now only one repository viewer hierarchy. (rather than one
for files and one for packages).
- I have attempted to actually build in backward/forward compatibility
which was ignored in earlier versions
- version to version dual changes comparison tool

We have been using MC1.5 with gjallar for two months, it is slower than
MC1 (flushing some caches and improving WeakDictionaries, aka. sigs
stuff, helps) and we still have this one major bug. As far as I am aware
this bug hits in places where MC1 would not even be able to load a
package. The work around is to manually recompile the package.

The bug will go away if SystemEditor was working, and we could switch to
using it (the code is already present). The SystemEditor based loader
will also be much faster, by a factor of 3 or more.

I am also aware of some minor items which require ToolBuilder.

> I haven't even seen those patches (where are they?) but I'd be happy
> to review them - we've had (and sometimes still have) various issues
> with MC so I'm interested in anything that may help address the problems.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
best regards

Keith