[V3dot10] [ab] Why ruby?

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 13 18:36:41 UTC 2007

stephane ducasse wrote:
> I was rethinking about it and I think that if you are building an
> infrastructure tools (ie people will rely on it).
> You should write it in squeak else people may not want to invest on it.
>
> Stef

Indeed I understand,

My aim is to keep the ruby end of things as simple as possible in order
to facilitate a future port into Gjallar.

However considering that squeak hardly supports the underlying os in any
significant way. I am thinking that it is actually quite difficult to do
this well until this aspect of squeak is improved.

For example only today I discover that squeak #exists test does not
check whether the directory is even writeable, indeed I cannot even find
an implementation of #isWriteable in the FileDirectory hierarchy.

I was envious of some of the infrastructure available in Gjallar,
especially their task scheduler, and mail interfaces. But I was unable
to get gjallar running on my machine since their linux port is very very
new.

Now, if you put "ruby Rio" into google and have a look at the first hit,
you will find what I think is a brilliant interface for io and file
stuff. Lets chuck FileDirectory and implement a Rio for squeak ;-)

cheers

Keith