[V3dot10] Release team problems

Pavel Krivanek pavel.krivanek at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 15:55:31 UTC 2007

Hi Keith,

I would like to show you my point of view.

The KernelImage is now in state than is different from the state where
it was in time when Ralph planed the release process. Now we have
kernel and EToys as Monticello packages. That means that now is very
simple to have not only automatical build&test server but it may be
fully supported by Monticello directly. So the process of image
building and testing can be:

- take basic kernel image with preloaded primitive packages
- update kernel and pritimtive packages from MC repository - build image
- load SUnit and test for the kernel - run it
- load MinimalMorphic - build image - load tests for it  - run it
- load EToys - build image - load tests for it - run it
- continue for next packages
- publish images and reports

EToys image has almost the same code base as normal Squeak 3.9 without
Nebraska now.

We don't need system for processing changesets, because this packages
are independent and we may process everything using Monticello - the
problems with atomic loading are less important here because we have
well defined dependencies and order of packages.

If we will be able to avoid overrides in MinimalMorphic and EToys
package, we will have easy update stream too. Of course this big
packages need next division.

I don't see any reason why we should prefer the mix of pre-monticello
and monticello-based release model.

-- Pavel