[V3dot10] Progress -categorising tests

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 22 10:38:29 UTC 2007

As usual everything takes much longer than you expect.

I have at last succeeded in automating the process of categorising tests
into three categories,  quick, slow and long.

See http://squeak310.pbwiki.com/From39To391CategorizeTests

Defining Long as more than 3 seconds you get the following stats:

All 2205 tests run in 79 minutes.
146(6%) long tests run in 75 minutes.
2059(93%) short tests run in 3minutes.

Defining long as more than 15 seconds we have the following stats:
All 2205 tests run in 79 minutes.
81(3%) long tests run in 69 minutes.
2124(96%) short tests run in 9minutes.

So running all of the tests that take less than 3 seconds, we get 93% of
the results we are looking for in 3 minutes.  Then running all of the
tests that take less than 15 seconds we get almost 97% of our results in
the  next 6 minutes. running the long tests takes an hour and 10 minutes
longer.

Now I have complicated things by having 3 categories, I am ensuring that
the TestRunner and TestReporter can be configured to actually run these
categories easily.

slow being between 3 and 15 seconds
long being > 15 seconds.

Keith