[V3dot10] [ANN] Potential Tools Support for Process for 3.10 and 3.9.1

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Sat Jan 6 16:18:03 UTC 2007

>> I do not have the time today to look at what you did but this is
>> going in the right direction
>> Now of course they was a process in 3.9, I hate when people can
>> say or even think about that.
>> Have a look at the scriptloader class in 3.9
>>
>> The principle was the following.
>>     we created a list of packages + some possible initialization
>> actions and cleans that were available on the squeafoundation
>> squeak  source
>>     then we issued a cs that was published on the server that
>> would load the script.
>>     for the changes that we could do with MC we issued a simple cs
>> on the server.
>>
>> So if the changes or MC would not have bug we could reproduce
>> totally an image strating with an old. we were not able because of
>> squeak mess (a category is not a package so sometimes you have
>> circul;ar dependency and also because when you fill in the code
>> that modify the UI and you do not have atomic loading it crashes).
>> So with atomic loading and MC2 we should be able to get there.
>>
>> Stef
>>
> Thank you so much for filling in some details for me, I know it was
> silly for me to press on without really considering the earlier
> process, but it is important to integrate approaches where it makes
> sense.

Sure
Have a look.
I strongly believe that what is cruelly missing right is a notion of
component specification so that we can load a package and load all
the required
ones. Universes are one solution when the release is done, but when I
see all the version of seaside and the interaction with the other
components
it seems to me that this would be a really important missing pieces
of the puzzle. The MCCconfiguration are a step in that direction.
But I should be able to ask a package with one I should load to make
sure it works (with * or >) as in debian and other package systems.

Stef