[V3dot10] [auto]

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 12 04:41:28 UTC 2007

According to Ralph's request I shall be posting manual progress updates of significant items.
will prefix these updates [auto], referring to the automated build
process that I am working towards. That way they can be easily filtered
or deleted if they get annoying ;-)

1) Installer unload: <pattern match>

This
unloads multiple packages using the Monticello unload function. It also
removes the empty category, and updates any browsers that will get
upset if the category map changes.

2) Raised bug http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=5718 with regard to browsers getting upset when categories are removed.

3) Have been discussing with Edgar the desirability of having tests in one package.
The
goal being easy load/unload of tests. I do not think that the one
package approach is flexible enough and so I am working on a viable
alternative which builds upon the 3.9 packaging divisions.

a)
So for step 1, easy unload of Tests, all Tests (even tests from
non-base packages, as long as the naming convention is used. The
following oxymoron:  Installer install: 'UnloadTests', which simply
calls Installer unload: '*Tests-*'.

b) For easy reloading of tests three options come to mind.
Monticello configurations
Installer script
PackageUniverses, Tests (sub)universe!

think that the most elegant of these would be the PackageUniverses
option, but I suspect that the most pragmatic option will be the
Installer script option, so watch this space.

4) Installer #install: being joined by a synonym #do:
The above oxymoron can now be expressed slightly more  logically as
Installer do: 'UnloadTests'

5) Started
 documentation page http://squeak310.pbwiki.com/ConventionsFor310

6) I have renamed the -dev branch to -unstable so as to avoid confusion with the dev-image.

cheers

Keith