[V3dot10] my plans for alpha and beyond

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 19 08:11:58 UTC 2007

Ralph,

I was waiting not to be first to comment but cannot wait much longer :) . For
what it's worth from someone who does not have experience buidling large
systems in Smalltalk, I like this very much. Defining boundaries of
packages/components, separating them, and auto-testing whether they still
work together is not only pleasing, but also should enable thinks like well
defined per-component ownership by individuals and groups, pluggability and
probably better reliability. There will be probably large difficulties as you
also described. I will have more notes later , and realize you said you will
describe what you mean by a "component" later, at this point I wonder about
how the component boundaries will be defined, and whether somehow exporting
(I really mean defining/fixing) their API will be part of the  process. There
probably could be some iteration to the process - A concrete example of what
I mean is , Morphic and eToys could perhaps be dealt with as one "component"
initially, loadable together, and later separated them into 2. I should
really look at how Pavel separated Morphic and what is in that piece.

In any case this sounds like a great plan, Milan