[V3dot10] And to 3.10

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 19 13:30:48 UTC 2007

As I understand 3.10 is not really about adding new functionality. I aim
to test everything that is needed for the build process in 3.9.1,
freeing 3.10 to focus on removing and refactoring things.

At present as I understand it 3.10 is 3.9 with some pieces removed. To
move forward I think that we need to capture Edgars "piece removal"
process. Then it can easily be applied to 3.9.1 also.

I think that some strategic work needs to happen at the other end of
things, in the guts of the "untamed beast" in order to facilitate moving
forward with 3.10. My reasoning being as follows:

Recently I was invited to help someone to fix a broken image. They had a
broken Morphic process of some kind that was encouraging the vm to
crash. I thought (naively) that I would be able to run a startup script
that deleted the problem process. However it turns out in the current
scheme that the startup document is not invoked until well after Morphic
is up and running, and has crashed by then. I even tried creating my own
update server to try and load the script. I couldn't even run a simple
script at startup. Being able to solve this type of early startup
problem should be a goal of the 3.10+ back to basics excercise. And as
an aside, where is the Logging to tell me what is going on and where
things went wrong?

So this got me thinking, what is the absolute minimum useful image that
we might be left with after we have pulled out everything. My answer: an
image that can run the equivalent of:  ruby -e "p 2+2" without any
unnecessary activity such as initialising a display e.g.

#squeak minimalImage.image Script e="2+2"

While Edgar is wielding the axe on some easier to remove components. I
have noticed in relation to this idea that many pieces are difficult to
remove. For example it is difficult to have a headless image with
doesn't need any display functionality because in the autostart process
all the bits like Display and Cursor etc are all initialised up front,
and as I said the startup document is only run after the whole startup
process is complete.

If the image can been trimmed this extent such that it is still usable
well, then the process of reloading components reliably should then be
much easier. (as discussed in the previous email)

In developing the auto-build process I have been looking at the
AutoStart functions and thinking that they could really use a revamp.

So as a sub-project I would aim to write some tests which define the
needed/expected behaviour of the AutoStart process. To do this I feel
that SSpec may well be the better (than SUnit) framework. (as an aside
SSpec in VW uses underscores in selectors, but hey you cant have
everything).

I have already refactored AutoStart into something clearer and more
flexible. I have also pulled out the classes needed to support running
in a browser into a separate package. There is a fair bit of work needed
to ensure that this fundamental re-write is going to satisfy the needs
of the masses without breaking anything. The aim of the build system is
to enable radical rewrites of this kind to happen, without being
constrained by the "when I reload things" it will break everything
problem. When I have finished the re-write I will solve the problem of
radically re-writing something else, i.e. by providing Atomic loading in
monticello, or releasing MC2.

So... to 3.10, I am hoping that Edgar's process can be captured in the
build system in  the From39To310, and at some point I can contribute
this AutoStart replacement to that process too.

best regards

Keith